Friday, November 30, 2007

Beyond FINE: Good News about Patry Francis

So many of you have commented on Patry’s Two Ounces of Bliss post at Simply Wait, so I know you’re up to speed on her discussion of her recent cancer diagnosis. For those of you who haven’t seen this note from Patry’s husband, Ted, here’s an update on Patry’s surgery in Boston on Wednesday:

“Hi Everyone:

Our day yesterday started at 3:30 a.m. as we headed into Boston for Patry’s surgery which was scheduled for 6 a.m. It ended with me driving down 193 around 9 p.m. exhausted but ecstatic with how well everything went.

The operation was successful and her surgeon, one of the world’s best, was very happy with what he saw and how she made out. She’s very strong spiritually and physically and hopefully will be coming home soon with a long healing period ahead of her.

Thanks for your prayers,
peace and love,
Ted”

Can I tell you how much I cherish these people, whom I’ve never officially met? If you don’t know Patry, read a few of her archived posts and you’ll immediately glimpse her immense stores of grace, goodwill, and pure gumption. Hell, read this quote from her current post and you’ll see what I mean:

“I couldn’t change the fact that I was ill; I couldn’t make the road ahead pain- or anxiety-free, but I could get out of bed and take the dogs to the beach. I could pick up a common, translucent shell and hold it up to the light until it revealed just how uncommon it was.”

Patry’s a fighter who’s been through tough times before. No wonder so many of her fans and friends feel so strongly about her and can’t wait to hear more good news from Cape Cod. I only hope she understands why we’re all so vocal and emotional about all this: because she’s an ordinary person like us who’s extraordinary in so many ways. She’s not only the translucent shell, she’s the light shining through that illuminates the lives of those who love her, reminding us how uncommon and unique we are, too.

11 Comments:

Blogger Carleen Brice said...

I hadn't heard! Thanks for letting us know!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

You're welcome, Carleen! It's so nice to hear good news, isn't it? K.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Sherry said...

I haven't read this blog so I don't know about Patry but I am definitely going over to read. You know me...cancer survivors have an affinity for one another and I am always drawn to those (with or without cancer!) who have grace, spirit and inner wisdom. Thanks for letting us know that her surgery went well.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

Sherry, You're in for a treat. Patry's a gem. And yes, I thought of you as soon as I read her post. I know she'll appreciate hearing from you! K.

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard about Patry but I'm sending her a prayer for a speedy recovery and I will for sure stop by her blog. Strength and courage in the face of life threatening adversity takes an amazing strength.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

So true, Rebecca! I'm about to head over to Simply Wait to see if anything new has been added. I'm sure Patry and her family are looking forward to when she can finally come home. K.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. I'm really happy that there is good news. Maybe one day on old Cape Cod I'll bump into Patry Francis and tell her myself.

By the way, your meme regarding middle names inspired my newest post (which isn't posted yet as I write this).

You need to change your comment posting section. I am not a google blogger, but you don't have the "other" button which would allow me to post correctly.
I am, of course, gerry rosser at twoblueday.wordpress.com.
So I hit "anonymous."

5:37 AM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

Thanks for the heads-up, Gerry! K.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

Another note from Ted!!

Update: Patry is improving every day. She is in good spirits and ready to come home even though we haven't heard anything about a release date yet. She is up walking the halls and has started receiving some fluids. All good news!!!
Hopefully she will be posting a new message soon.
Thanks again for all your prayers and support,
Ted

9:54 AM  
Blogger steve on the slow train said...

Karen--Many thanks for your updates. I've been thinking about Patry a lot lately. I'm thankful to hear that she's doing well.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

So am I, Steve. I'll continue to post any updates from Ted until Patry's able to post on her own. I'm anxious to hear from her and boy I hope she takes her time and gets all the rest she needs to fully heal from all this. K.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home